Sunday, March 8, 2009

Oh, I remember what that feels like...

Last 4 weeks have seen me scramble to assemble presentations on sports nutrition as well as take myself from the casual MTB racer to a training roadie. It's been rather inspiring for myself yet exhausting. My days revolve around fitting in cooking for the wife, some light cleaning, shopping, intervals, hill repeats, and long tempo rides out to the sea.

Yesterday was great. I rode with an expat friend for 80 km. The ride took us across a 12 km seawall to a series of three islands connected by bridges. The road shoulders were a bit dirty but wide. The roads on the last island wound up and down the hills and through through the rice patties. Smooth, clean and black lines with clean white paint. Few cars if any. We've been in Korea for 1 full year now and I forgot how great it was to actually ride to someplace and have the feeling that the scene changed. The boats in the water, the sea air, the funky little pensions all fulfilled that. A successful 12 hr week of riding and I'm all smiles.


Stan

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice! Next time take some photos and let us see what that looks like. Glad you are having fun!

Stanley Crocker R.D.,L.D. said...

So right! However, I did not expect to see and feel what I did. In reality, there's no excuse as I always see something worthy of capturing be it beautiful, sad, or downright comical. The later being the majority.

Dave Ploch said...

Stan, definitely post some pictures. I spent a bunch of time just north of Tokyo in Ryugasaki about 20 years ago. I loved it.

Anonymous said...

Mr. Stan: you didn't mention why you are now a Training Roadie. How come? Also, Happy RD day!!!

Registered Dietitian Day — Wednesday, March 11, 2009The American Dietetic Association proudly announces the second annual Registered Dietitian Day. As the nation's food and nutrition experts, registered dietitians are committed to improving the health of their patients and community. Registered Dietitian Day commemorates the dedication of RDs as advocates for advancing the nutritional status of Americans and people around the world.

carla farrell

Stanley Crocker R.D.,L.D. said...

Carla,
The road training is for the Tour de Korea in June. There is a pro version and an amature version. When I was asked to join a team looked at the distances and gasped. 9 days of 150-200km /day in the mountains. No thanks! I was then informed that it was for the ameture race of 100 k/day on some of the same roads. WHEW! I'm cool with that.

Unfortunatly the roads and drivers here are far worse that in the USA. The drivers are not A-holes they are watching soap operas and doing their hair while they drive. That's the men I'm talking about. It's crazy here. Most of my training will be out on an island South of here or on bike paths. Hill repeats will be done in a local park. Oh boy!

njenney said...

Instead of referring to Suzanne as 'the wife' you should try 'my old lady' and see how that goes.